Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

work is like angry birds

Sometime in the night, I realized that I was addicted to thinking about work in the same way I get addicted to ridiculous electronic games.  Long after I quit playing them, I continue to work through scenarios to solve the puzzle or problem, shifting Tetris pieces, clicking Mah Jong tiles, throwing Angry Birds.  It annoys me no less when I do this with work than when I do it with electronic games.  As I'm falling asleep or when I wake up in the night, I'm making electronic maps, or re-tooling a discussion point, or re-writing a paragraph over again.
Knowing that I'm doing it only helps slightly to derail the review of the puzzle, program, annoying issue, annoying electronic game.   I was previously convinced that the designers had created the games in such a way as to force them to stick in my craw.  Now I'm thinking that I just have an amazingly tight craw and that's why things stick in it.
Is this boredom or some deeper psychological problem?  Maybe you shouldn't answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment